Hello, dear friends! It’s Julia from Dinner with Julia. Today, we’re going to explore a classic French dish that has won my heart over and over again – the French Monte Cristo Sandwich. My first encounter with French Monte Cristo Sandwich was during a trip to Paris. The combination of ham, cheese, and bread, all fried to golden perfection and dusted with powdered sugar – it was love at first bite. Since then, this dish has become a regular feature in my kitchen, and I’m thrilled to share my passion for it with you.
French Monte Cristo Sandwich Recipe
French Monte Cristo Sandwich Recipe
- 1 large pan
- Two cups of ham
- One tablespoon of fresh dill
- Four teaspoon of olive oil
- One teaspoon of dried oregano
- Sourdough bread slices
- One cup of parmesan cheese
- One teaspoon of salt
- One teaspoon of pepper
- Take a large pan.
- Add the olive oil into the pan.
- Add the chopped garlic into the pan.
- Cook the garlic well.
- Add the ham, dried oregano, salt and pepper into the pan as well.
- Cook the ingredients well and then dish out.
- Add the bread slices into the pan and toast them.
- Add the ham mixture on one of the slices.
- Add the parmesan cheese.
- Add another slice of bread on top.
- Toast on both sides so the cheese melts.
- Garnish the sandwich with chopped dill.
- The dish is ready to be served.
A New Spin on French Monte Cristo Sandwich: Using an Air Fryer
- Preheat your best air fryer for family: Start by preheating your air fryer to 180°C (or 360°F). This ensures that the sandwich cooks evenly.
- Prepare your sandwich: Assemble your sandwich as usual – bread, ham, cheese, then another slice of bread. Dip the sandwich in the egg batter, ensuring all sides are well coated.
- Cook in the air fryer: Place the sandwich in the air fryer basket, making sure there’s enough space around it for the hot air to circulate. Cook for about 5-7 minutes, then flip the sandwich and cook for another 5-7 minutes, or until it’s golden brown and crispy.
- Serve hot: Once done, carefully remove the sandwich from the air fryer (it will be hot!), dust it with powdered sugar, and serve with a side of raspberry jam.
Ready to elevate your air frying game? Explore the top-rated Air Fryer Toaster Ovens that bring convenience to your kitchen. Discover the perfect balance of versatility and functionality for a seamless cooking experience. Upgrade your culinary adventures with the 7 Best Air Fryer Toaster Ovens today
Tips for French Monte Cristo Sandwich
French Monte Cristo Sandwich is a testament to the beauty of simplicity. It’s all about letting the ingredients shine. The sandwich is filled with ham and cheese, dipped in egg batter, pan-fried to perfection, and then dusted with powdered sugar and served with a side of raspberry jam. The result? A dish that’s savory yet sweet, simple yet sophisticated.
Cooking Tips for French Monte Cristo Sandwich
Now, let’s dive into some tips to help you master this dish at home.
Tip 1: Choose Your Ingredients Wisely
The star of this dish is, of course, the ham and cheese. Look for high-quality ham and a good melting cheese like Gruyere or Swiss.
Tip 2: Don’t Overcook the Sandwich
The sandwich should be golden brown and crispy on the outside, with the cheese nicely melted on the inside. Keep a close eye on it while it’s in the pan to avoid burning.
Tip 3: Serve it Hot
The French Monte Cristo Sandwich is best served hot, right out of the pan. This ensures that the cheese is still melty and the bread is crispy.
Serving Suggestions for French Monte Cristo Sandwich
Wondering how to serve your French Monte Cristo Sandwich? Here are my top suggestions:
- Pair with a Salad: A light, fresh salad is a great accompaniment to the sandwich. It provides a refreshing contrast to the rich, savory flavors.
- Serve with Soup: For a more filling meal, serve the sandwich with a bowl of your favorite soup.
- Add a Side of Fries: For a classic diner-style meal, serve the sandwich with a side of crispy fries.
FAQs About French Monte Cristo Sandwich
Before we wrap up, let’s address some common questions about this dish:
- Can I use another type of meat? Yes, you can substitute ham with turkey or chicken.
- Can I make the sandwich ahead of time? It’s best to make the sandwich just before serving to ensure it’s fresh and crispy.
- What can I use instead of raspberry jam? If you’re not a fan of raspberry jam, you can use strawberry or blackberry jam instead.
- Can I add other fillings to the sandwich? Absolutely! Feel free to experiment with different fillings like spinach, tomatoes, or bacon.
- How do I know when the sandwich is done? The sandwich is done when it’s golden brown on both sides and the cheese is melted.
Remember, cooking is all about creativity and personal preference. Don’t be afraid to experiment with different tools and techniques. You might just discover your new favorite way to enjoy French Monte Cristo Sandwich.